Sunday, January 30, 2011

Time Signatures

Most contemporary music is in 4/4 time and is the basis for nearly every famous song I can think of. Most people couldn't name five songs without at least two or three of them being in strictly in 4/4 time.

For a long time I have wondered what made the music I love particularly unique. Recently, when I have asked my more musically inclined friends why this was, most of them made reference to odd time signatures and unconventional time signatures not typically employed in Western Music. They told me that most of the bands I was really into also made use of these time signatures as naturally as other groups use 4/4 timing. Hearing how all of the numbers that went into time signatures and how they effected the piece of music really blew my mind. I wanted to know more.
*Here Are Some Examples of Simple Time Signatures Found In Western Music:



*During the course of my research I have found that many bands that use Compound Time Signatures are very technical in their playing style and have amazing drummers to keep the beat and continually shift their rhythms and meters. After looking closely at sheet music by bands such as A Perfect Circle, Tool, Meshuggah, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Radiohead, Periphery, Norma Jean, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta,  and Mastodon I noticed that many of them made use of Compound Time.

Here Are Some Examples of Compound Time Signatures:



*Here Are Some Useful Tools To Help Count Compound Time*
















No comments:

Post a Comment